Saturday, September 26, 2009

My History and Gaming Background

I'm primarily a PC gamer, and I primarily play MMORPG games. I play RPG's, RTS's, some FPS here and there, and other misc genres. RPG's in general are my favorite genre, and thus "MMORPG's" are at the top of that list. I started PC gaming around the year 2001, and I've been glued to my computer since then.

Backing up a bit, The very first online game I ever played...was Runescape. It's called an MMORPG now, but back then it was just an online 2D game that you could kill a massive amount of time on. It was around the year 2001, and I was homeschooled, so I had a lot of spare time to kill. I had free time than any kid ever should be allowed to have. Playing Runescape every day sucked me into a world I would not be leaving from, the world of MMORPG's.

It was due to that game, that I heard of Everquest, the game that would change my life forever. I've played countless games over the years, but the only game that could really keep me playing for a long time was Runescape. Now I played Runescape a lot, but it wasn't anything special, it was simply a time waster that kept my mind busy. When I entered the world of 3D PC gaming, Runescape went out the window. I played FPS, RTS, RPG's, just about everything the PC had to offer was all thrown at me at once. Among those games was Everquest, a game that had an amazing 3D world filled with endless tasks and areas to explore. The moment I started playing that game was the moment I would be tagged as a "Lazy Video Gamer" for the rest of my life. I loved Everquest, I loved how harsh it was, how big the world was, and how many hours I could pour into the game without ever getting bored. I barely remember sleeping during those years, and I've forgotten most of my childhood memories, all because of that damn game.

Fast Forward half a decade, and I'm in college and currently bored of the state the video game industry is in. I played EQ for a good 2 and a half years, WoW for 4 years, Vanguard for about a year, and some other minor MMO's here and there that I played for less than a month each. I'll skip out on the "non-MMO" games as the list would be a bit too large. I've played all of the games within the genre's I enjoy - and I've either beaten them all or gotten bored of them all. Since the day I started playing PC games, the amount of time I can have fun on a single game keeps decreasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment